Tuesday, July 20, 2010

setting intentions

i don't want this blog to be an inane record of all the little trifles that make up my days. i started blogging because i used to write in a journal. although journaling provided a place for me to reflect and helped me cultivate self-awareness,  writing a hard-cover book has been difficult lately.  thus, this blog.  i don't want to merely record events. rather, i want this space to serve as a forum for describing the things that make me think, surprise me, and teach me lessons.  most of all, i want to use this blog to help me cultivate gratitude. more on gratitude in the next post.  for now, there's residency:

woke up way too early (5:00 AM) to let out ulysses and head over to capital hospital. the day went fairly smoothly.  saw way more patients than i thought was possible.  then came home and ran a short 4 miles in the rain.  instead of doing my sprint workout today, it's going to have to happen tomorrow.  there just wasn't enough time tonight.  as it was, tonight was the perfect moment for 4 relaxed miles.  we were just on the border of a summer storm, so a little light rain kept me cool and i got to listen to the thunder (although i wasn't in the midst of the lightning) during my run. tomorrow i'll do my interval workout that was scheduled for today. we just have conference tomorrow morning then the afternoon off, which should give me ample time in the afternoon.

oh, and tonight we had another intern night at top o.  turnout could have been better, but it was fun all the same. the cool air and the sunset over chapel hill made for a gorgeous summer evening.  here's the view from where we were perched for the night.  see if you can spot the intern in this photo:



got home and cut up a few tomatoes from the garden, added a little fresh mozarella, and voila:



ok, bubba is looking longingly at me, which means it's time for bed.



one last thing.  i was googling myself (now that i have a blog, i was curious what was out there; hello narcissus?) and i found this:

No comments: