Wednesday, July 21, 2010

the heat at guglhupf

i spent most or the afternoon sleeping.  one result of working odd hours is that in order to fit in activities with other people who have "normal" schedules, sleep sometimes gets sacrificed.  during my first residency, when i had to choose between social life, athletics, and sleep, the latter usually got sacrificed.  this was fine.  buzz and i explored the rivers of northern california, and i biked back and forth across the coastal range to my extreme delight at the expense of my sleep.  this did take a toll, however.  i'm sure my work performance suffered, and i know that those around me endured an excess of grumpiness due to my lack of rest.

so this afternoon i paid homage to the nap.  almost 4 hours of blissful sleep.  i woke up feeling refreshed and ready for a week's worth of activities.  because i didn't do my sprints today, i'll have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning to run. fine with me.  i'll be well rested.

on another note, satelite radio continues to add the the quality of my life. a new discovery on the sirius dial is the heat.  it's a nice combination of hip-hop and r&b that makes for good driving music. it's important for me to keep my music selection fresh, especially if i'm tasked with driving to capital hospital for months at a time. luckily, most of my job happens at university hospital, which is an easy 2-mile bike ride from my house. but on those long drives, it's a huge bonus to have good tunes. also, it helps me connect with a broader cultureal context than what i'd otherwise encounter.  i'll write a post later htis month about the importnace of keeping my finger on the pulse of popular culture.  but not right now.  i have to run early tomorrow morning.

on a completely unrelated note, a big thumbs up to guglhupf, a hell of a restaurant and bakery in durham.  their food is exquisite, and the patio is beautiful. if haven't enjoyed an evening at guglhupf, you're missing out.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Stevo! You're right, Guglhupf is amazing! Man, I miss the triangle.

sarah (SHU) said...

GUGLHUPF! we should meet up there. love it!!