Friday, November 19, 2010

back in the department

although i'm officially still on my ultrasound month, yesterday i took a shift in the emergency department for a colleague. i have to admit, it was nice being back: seeing patients, interacting with my fellow residents, learning. one of my favorite seniors was working alongside me for the afternoon, and he gave me a red trauma to run just before i had to leave.

in about two hours, liv and i are headed to philly for a weekend of city exploration and the marathon on sunday. any suggestions for what we should do while we're there? any restaurant recommnedations? we will be staying in west philly with friends (who are out of town), and the race start is in center city, i think.

my feet are ready to go. the weather looks perfect, and i'm very happy with the way my new race shoes feel.

now that this training cycle is over, i'm thinking about getting back to things like paddling (see below) and riding my bicycle. i hope that liv and i will find some time to swim together in the new year too.

i'm a bit sad that to miss the family thanksgiving celebration next week in new orleans. i had thought that i'd have the week free. now turns out that i have to work in the emergency department. i guess that's what i signed up for a year ago when i applied for this job.

on the bright side, liv is spending the actual thanksgiving day with me before she heads to ATL for thanksgiving (one day late) on friday with her folks. i already have a little turkey day menu planned for us (minus the turkey) for after the gallup and gorge 8k thursday morning.

oh, almost forgot: if you haven't seen this guy, i think he's my doppelganger.  filipino, rides bikes, runs, blogs, is a hospitalist MD, and we're exactly the same age. oh, and we happen to be 3rd cousins (i think; please help me with this, aunt vicky). we've never actually met in person, but i hope we do get to hang out together sometime, perhaps when liv and i do our asia trip.

again, any suggestions for cool things to do in philly are welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started my rotation in the ER, but in social work. It's been awesome - I love the excitement of it all (and it doesn't hurt that I'm in the only level-1 trauma center in the city). Plus you meet the most interesting people in the ER haha

I haven't spent a whole lot of time in Philly, but at some point you MUST go get a Philly Cheesesteak from either Geno's or Pat's. Amazing.

Vicky Fannaly said...

George is my and your father's fourth cousin, so your fourth cousin once removed. Sending you the progression so you will understand. But, what a nice coincidence that you have so much in common regardless of very week genetics! Have fun in Philly, run the race!

Vicky Fannaly said...

George is my and your father's fourth cousin, so your fourth cousin once removed. Sending you the progression so you will understand. But, what a nice coincidence that you have so much in common regardless of very week genetics! Have fun in Philly, run the race!