Monday, August 2, 2010

road trip!

after a tiring week of work, matt, s, and i went up to asheville this weekend for two-day kayak trip.i didn't get home until midnight friday, so i was a bit groggy heading out of town. a stop at the wildflour bakery in saluda helped.




day one was the lower green, a good first river for s.


we spent the night in asheville; katie and peter were gracious hosts. they have a cute appartment in montford, which was a short walk to downtown with plenty of room for us and our boats.


it took a while to get our table ready at the laughing seed, so we had some time to kill downtown. as you can see from this pic, we don't get out nearly enough.

dinner was, as usual, delicious. matt had the low-country roll-ups, which i had never tried.

we woke up to a delicious breakfast at todd's tasties which included this little gooey bomb made from day-old croissants mashed up with cinnamon, icing, pecans, and butter.

day two was the nantahala gorge. it's been a while since i've paddled the nanty, not a very challening, but it's a pretty run with a few nice play spots. the weather was perfect: 80 degrees and sunny. here's us ready to get on the river:

the mists rising up off the river were beautiful.

unfortunately, my camera got submerged in water after my pelican box didn't close properly. unfortunate, you might say, because it was a new camera. not so. i bought it with my mastercard with purchase protection. camera purchased 89 days ago (just under the 90-day window), so this little mishap shouldn't cost me a thing. although it looks like the camera is toast, i did manage to salvage my pics from my the memory card.

i have my first overnight shift at university hospital tonight. it's my first shift in a two-month stretch there.

i've spent most of the morning at the VW dealership. my first 35k miles of service were included in the purchase price of my car. they are taking a long time to get finished, but it's given me time to catch up on a few to-do items, as they have free internet here.

this afternoon, i'll be doing my long run. i took this weekend off, which is probably good for my legs. still trying to be concious about form, especially on long runs, in order to stay injury-free.

1 comment:

Maria Ikenberry said...

sweet - so glad the credit card protection worked out for you!