Tuesday, December 7, 2010

winter

after a beautiful snowfall last weekend, it finally feels like winter here in NC. i just got back from an awesome run with ulysses in the cold night air. wow, he's like a different dog now! this summer, he could barely make it two miles with me. in tonight's sub 32-degree weather, we were doing under 7-minute miles x six miles without any difficulty.

i had an discouraging meeting with my program director today regarding the possibility of me getting that extra six months of credit towards completing my residency. it looks like the board is going to deny me (and everyone else that started last year) those 6 months off. of course, before all this happened, i overjoyed at completing my training in 2.5 years instead of 3. so i guess it's all a matter of perspective.

the meeting also gave me a chance to talk about how frustrating it can be sometimes to not get the respect that i used to enjoy as an attending. this won't be the first time i've mentioned this, but it's way harder than i had imagined it would be. it has been a lesson in humility if nothing else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That blows that they won't give you those six months, dude. Sorry man. GME is so draconian sometimes. AND they won't pay for our parking!!!

Re: humility... yea. Do you remember earlier in the year, I asked you if it was hard to have different management decisions than attendings? You said something a little differently when I asked that. Interesting. I think because of all the foundation you had, you are learning very quickly... and this is a nasty side effect of that learning.

He knows too much!